First, determine your strategy — local leads, a national following or international visibility — then follow these pointers for attracting an audience.
Free Book Preview Ultimate Guide to SOCIAL MEDIA
This book takes readers through a 360-degree perspective of social media in businesses.
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
In his publication Tweet Naked , internet marketing expert and social media agency CEO Scott Levy supplies the critical information entrepreneurs have to craft a social media strategy which will enhance their brand and their business. In this edited excerpt, the writer discusses how to build and audience on Twitter that benefits you most.
Although some large, national companies, like McDonald’s, are pleased to have followers from anywhere and everywhere, smaller, niche businesses can benefit greatly from reaching people and growing a following within their own industry. Your small business in a particular town, city or region, like a spa that may only serve 50 people weekly, may benefit more from a select local following when compared to a mass following of 100,000 folks from worldwide that it might never accommodate.
You have to decide whether your strategy is to build local leads, a national following, or international branding and visibility. It is critical to keep a couple of things at heart when creating a following:
- Your potential reach as a business. Are you trying to brand locally or internationally?
- Your resources . Just how much time and money must you monitor–or have your staff monitor–your social media activities and connect to followers? In case you have numerous followers on Twitter but haven’t any time (or interest) in giving an answer to them, you’ll lose them as brand supporters.
- The kind of service or product you offer . If you are a software manufacturer, for instance, you’ll want to attain as many folks as possible. But if you are selling high-end furnishings, you might be better served with a smaller following of top designers and the ones who can appreciate and afford your goods.
Listed below are 10 easy methods to create a following:
1. Have a fantastic photo, bio and profile. Every type of social media enables you to provide some information regarding yourself. Ensure that your Twitter profile and bio carries a succinct mixture of who you are and everything you do, but usually do not sell! Your photo ought to be a good close-up of you alone–preferably sporting a smile. Make certain the photo is clear and close; if it had been extracted from 50 feet away, that person will look just like a dot on cellular devices. And leave the photos of friends and family to your Facebook page.
2. Cross-promote. Let people on Facebook have your Twitter handle, and folks on Twitter find your Facebook page. Do the same on LinkedIn and other social media sites. A recently available LinkedIn thread in a networking discussion group simply asked everyone to talk about their Twitter handles–and they did.
3. Put your Twitter handle everywhere. You shouldn’t be shy about letting everyone know where one can be entirely on social media. Some people have even bumper stickers with their Twitter handles on them. Are personalized license plates next?
4. Reciprocate. If indeed they as if you, like them; if indeed they follow you, follow them; and if indeed they endorse you, endorse them.
5. Be human. Use your own identity instead of your brand or logo. On Twitter, frequently the people behind the business enterprise have significantly more followers than their businesses. Also interact with the people behind other businesses; this assists you set up a relationship and you will even discuss and cross-promote each other’s companies.
6. Use photos. They might be very effective in your Twitter tweets. Photos grab people’s attention. Make certain they’re top quality and befitting your audience.
7. Give consideration. Each social media platform is wanting to stay fresh, new and innovative. Subsequently, there are new options introduced, a few of that may benefit you in your energy to build your following and grow your brand. You might not utilize the many features each social media platform provides, but it’s worthwhile to remain abreast of the most recent development.
8. Create a schedule. When you may monitor social media the whole day, you will possibly not have enough time to be a dynamic participant. If this is actually the case, you might like to create a schedule to carve out time to make your presence felt.
9. Review what’s working and what isn’t. If growing a following and building your brand is your goal, you will want to monitor your outcomes. If you are putting yourself out there and folks aren’t responding, you may want to change your approach. If many folks are giving an answer to your tweets on Twitter but ignoring you on Facebook, then concentrate on Twitter, or vice versa.
10. Be interesting. I cannot reiterate this enough: If you are interesting and engaging, people will build relationships you; if you are boring, they don’t. Choose your tweets carefully.
Creating a following will need some work; the good thing is, that can be done it from your own office, your house or while sitting on the beach together with your trusty tablet. Be sure you tweet often.